Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe site, if you’re looking for Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe, look no further! We provide you only the perfect Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Snacks that provide You Vitality.
Wholesome eating helps bring about a feeling of wellness. Increasing our consumption of sensible foods while decreasing the intake of unhealthy ones contributes to a more wholesome feeling. A piece of pizza will not have you feeling as healthy as ingesting a fresh green salad. Deciding on healthier food choices can be difficult when it is snack time. Shopping for snack foods can be a challenge because you have countless options. Why not try one of the following wholesome snacks the next time you need some extra energy?
Whole grain snacks are an superb choice for a fast balanced snack. A mid-morning snack of whole grain bread coupled with some protein will maintain you until it’s time for lunch. Eating on the run may be more healthy with whole fiber chips and crackers. Whole grains are always better than highly processed grains found in white bread.
You will not have to look far to discover a wide selection of healthy snacks that can be easily prepared. Determining to live a healthy life style can be as uncomplicated as you want it to be.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to classic northern beef stew recipe. To make classic northern beef stew you need 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you do that.
The ingredients needed to cook Classic Northern Beef Stew:
- Prepare 1/3 cup of vegetable oil.
- Get 2.5 of lbs. beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- Use 1/3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need Dash of salt and black pepper.
- You need 2 cups of beef broth.
- Take 1 cup of red wine.
- Get 1 of bay leaf.
- Get 1 of medium onion, cut into wedges (8 pieces).
- Get 3 of large “gold” potatoes, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Get 1 lb. of medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- You need 8 oz. of large mushrooms, halved.
- Prepare 4 of celery stalks, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Prepare 1 lb. of turnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces.
- Provide Dash of salt and black pepper.
- Use 1 tsp. of paprika.
- You need 1 tsp. of dried thyme.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp. of clove (grated or powdered).
- Use 1/2 tsp. of allspice (ground or powdered).
- Get 1 can (6 oz.) of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of Marsala wine (optional).
Instructions to make Classic Northern Beef Stew:
- Prepare meat and vegetables before the cooking steps..
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat with some bacon grease on the bottom. Pour in enough oil to fill the bottom of pan..
- Place the beef cubes in a brown paper bag and add the flour. Close the bag and shake a few times. [This produces evenly coated and drier beef cubes].
- Dump the beef cubes into the pot and season the beef generously with salt and pepper. Sauté the meat, stirring occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. [Add oil if it seems to dry out or stick].
- Add the broth and wine until it covers the meat. Add the bay leaf. Bring this to a slight boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes..
- Add the onions, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, celery, and turnips to the pot. Add water (~3 cups) until it reaches 1” below all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper, and the spices. Cover (slightly ajar) and cook on low-medium heat for 1 hour..
- Remove the pot lid and drain all the pot juices into a medium sized pot. Add the tomato paste to the juices, stir occasionally, and heat until a slight boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and heat uncovered for 10 minutes. [The gravy will begin to thicken a bit].
- Add this “new” gravy back to the large pot so it just reaches the top of the ingredients. [Reserve the rest of the gravy, if any, for another meal].
- Add the Marsala wine, and simmer uncovered for another 30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow this to rest for 10 minutes before serving..
If you find this Classic Northern Beef Stew recipe useful please share it to your good friends or family, thank you and good luck.