Hey everyone, welcome to our recipe page, looking for the perfect Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe? look no further! We provide you only the best Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe here. We also have wide variety of recipes to try.
Before you jump to Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe, you may want to read this short interesting healthy tips about Healthy Eating Doesn’t Have To Be Difficult.
Choosing to eat healthily provides great benefits and is becoming a more popular way of life. There are a number of illnesses associated with a poor diet and there is a cost to the overall economy as individuals suffer from conditions such as heart disease and high blood pressure. There are more and more efforts to try to get people to follow a more healthy way of living and still it is also easier than ever to rely on fast, convenient food that is not good for our health. Most likely, most people think that it takes a lot of work to eat healthily and that they will have to drastically alter their way of life. Contrary to that information, individuals can modify their eating habits for the better by implementing several small changes.
One initial thing you can do is to pay close attention to the choices you make when you’re shopping for food because you most likely pick out a lot of food items out of habit. For instance, if you eat cereal for your breakfast, do you ever look to see what the sugar and salt content is before purchasing? One wholesome alternative that can give you a positive start to your day is oatmeal. By mixing in fresh fruit, you can make oatmeal taste better and, before you know it, you will have made a healthy change to your diet.
Evidently, it’s easy to begin incorporating healthy eating into your daily routine.
We hope you got benefit from reading it, now let’s go back to hearty vegan split-pea and lentil soup recipe. To cook hearty vegan split-pea and lentil soup you need 9 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you do it.
The ingredients needed to cook Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup:
- Provide of dried split peas.
- Provide of green lentils.
- You need of yellow lentils.
- Use of barley.
- Get of olive oil.
- Use of onions.
- Take of garlic.
- Take of carrots.
- Use of salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions to make Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup:
- If possible, do this step ahead. If not, start here and disregard the times mentioned in this step: Rinse peas and lentils well and leave in water (together in one bowl) to soak for 30 minutes up to 4 hours. Prepare barley similarly and soak separately for 30 minutes..
- Place large (8L) pressure cooker or 5L pot on med-high heat. When pot is warm, add olive oil. Meanwhile coarsely chop onion and add to pot after olive oil. Saute for 5-8 minutes till clear. While onions cook, peel carrots and slice into 1/4 inch "pennies"..
- Chop garlic and add to onion. Saute till fragrant..
- Drain peas and lentils and add to pot. Mix well and let cook together until very fragrant, about 3-5 minutes..
- For pressure cooker: Add carrots to pot. Rinse barley, add to pot and cook together for 1-2 minutes. Add 3L water (or double the height of the peas). In any case do not exceed pot limit. Season, cover and cook at med-high heat for 40 minutes (after achieving pressure). Turn off heat, leave pot closed for another 30 minutes..
- For regular pot: Add carrots to pot and cook for two minutes. Add water till three times the height of the peas, or about 1.5 inches from pot rim. Season, bring to a boil and cook for 3 hours. Rinse barley, add to pot and continue to cook another 35 mins – 1 hour..
- Best enjoyed after resting overnight or at least 2 hours..
If you find this Hearty Vegan Split-Pea and Lentil Soup recipe useful please share it to your friends or family, thank you and good luck.